How Do You Train Your Dog to Behave Around Cats?

I do not use a leash when I walk my dog. I usually let him roam around and explore his surroundings. Sadly, there have been instances when he kills the litter of my aunt's cats. The cat once gave birth in our storage shed and he found it. There was this other time when he found kittens in a box when we went to my grandmother's house and killed them. It breaks my heart to see this. I try to physically pull him away from the kittens, but I am always too late.

Do you have the same experiences with your dogs? How do your dogs get along with cats?

So this has happened thrice already, so why didn't you start using a leash after he killed kittens the 1st time? I think you should control your dog more thoroughly since you know what he's capable of doing. As for me, none of my dogs has killed a cat, it's either they don't get along like the dog is eager to play with the hostile cat or the dog is indifferent to the cat. On cases where both grew up together since they were a kid, then they grew up being friendly to each other too.

I did put a leash on him after he did that. The problem is that he runs out the gate when someone leaves it open. I am in school most of the time, so I am not around when most of the incidents happen. My dog hates cats. He growls at them and barks at them. The weird thing is that he's the only one in my pack who acts this way. The others just usually bark at cats or ignore them altogether.

I would also like to know that - we've had quite some situations. And the worst thing is that most of my neighbors have cats, so the street is full of them. You can imagine what pain is it to take my dog for a walk. He just goes crazy.

My father tried some training with him, but he failed drastically lol.
    Anyways, if anyone has any input, please tell.

A dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more than he loves himself.
    Josh Billings